Shaanan N Cohney
I am taking a summer break from research to work as a Cybersecurity Fellow for a US Senator.
I am currently a fourth year Ph.D candidate at the University of Pennsylvania in Computer & Information Science. My main research interests are Security and Cryptography.
I am also pursuing a Master In Law, a non practicing law degree, in order to better understand the interplay between technology and policy.
Prior to my Ph.D, in 2014 I completed a Bachelor of Science (Physics/Computer Science) along with a Diploma of Music (Practical - Classical Singing) at the University of Melbourne, in Australia from where I hail.
During my undergraduate studies, I participated in study abroad at the University of Pennsylvania and achieved the grades to be awarded a Dean's List Citation.
Additionally, I have been tutoring/TAing for six years and have been awarded an Excellence in Tutoring Award from the University of Melbourne.
I was a winter intern at Facebook Inc. in their Menlo Park HQ during 2014 and worked on the account deletion system.
Currently I work as a 'Graduate Associate' at Riepe College House, where I live with and counsel twenty-eight wonderful young adults
|Address||Distribued Systems Lab
3300 Walnut St
Philadelphia PA, 19104
Fields of Interest
Applied Cryptography; Public Policy; Law; Computer Security; Experimental Particle Physics
Recent Publications and Research
- Coin-Operated Capitalism - In Submission
- Practical state recovery attacks against legacy RNG implementations - In Submission
- Measuring small subgroup attacks against Diffie-Hellman - NDSS Symposium 2016
- DROWN: Breaking TLS using SSLv2 - USENIX Security (2016) Finalist Internet Defense Prize
- A Systematic Analysis of the Juniper Dual EC Incident - ACM CCS (2016) Best Paper Award
- Factoring As A Service - Financial Cryptography (2016)
- Reinforcement Learning Techniques in 'Jumper' - Prize for Best Undergraduate Research Project (2014)
Teaching, Tutoring & TAing
- 2013 Spring Semester (UPenn) - Algorithms and Data Structures
- 2013 Semester 2 (Unimelb) - Engineering Computation
- 2014 Semester 1 (Unimelb) - Computer Systems
- 2014 Semester 1 (Unimelb) - Foundations of Computing
- 2014 Semester 1 (Unimelb) - TRICS Presenter (Theoretical Research in Computer Science), Cryptography
- 2015, 2016, 2017f, 2017s (UPenn) - Computer and Network Security
- 2015, 2016 Fall Semester (UPenn) - Operating Systems
- 2016 Spring Semester (UPenn) - Technology and Policy
ProficienciesJS; Golang; C; PHP; Python; HTML/CSS; Linux Systems Administration; Cyber Security;
- I sing in multiple different choirs, the most significant of them being the Penn Glee Club.
- I spend much of my free time playing piano, predominantly works from musical theatre.
- I came second place in a safe cracking tournament.
- I have five years of experience as an informal educator in a community youth movement.